Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Embedding a YouTube video

YouTube actually has a lot of great science videos that can be used to instruct both teachers and kids. However, many schools block it to prevent kids from accessing inappropriate content. However, my principal had given permission to show YouTube videos that can be used as a learning tool. To do this if I opened the video at home and then brought my lap top to school with the video open, it would play, however you couldn't go to another video and open it. Now they've actually created a log in window that allows the teacher to bypass these blocked sites. One way I have used YouTube for Chemistry is to show lab demonstrations that are not feasible in the high school classroom due to lack of the proper chemicals or the chemicals are not safely handled in a class environment. For example, when we were learning about the properties of the halogen gases I found a good YouTube video that showed the properties of the halogens and their behavior when reacting with hydrogen to produce acids and other metals. There are tons of videos like this.


I also get ideas for Chemistry demos from YouTube. Here is one that I actually did in class when we were studying exothermic reactions. The kids went wild. It was nice to see the result of the chemical reaction and noting safety precautions before trying these out for yourself.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great videos! I bet the kids did go wild with the gummy bear reaction in the lab. How cool that you could do that in real time. The first video was also impressive, and I know I could not do any of those experiments with my lab set-up. It is great to be able to see it on video, especially the bromine/ aluminum and iodine/aluminum. I had never seen that before. At one point I had a link to videos that explored reactions of Group 1 metals that was excellent. We could see what cesium looked like, and how it reacted violently in water, which one could never do in the classroom. Videos like that are so helpful because chemical reactions written in a textbook just don't have the same effect! Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete