Thursday, July 8, 2010

Create a Graph

I think this is a pretty handy tool, especially for those students who can't afford to buy graphing software like Excel. However, I still think Excel is better. Create A Graph is pretty simplistic. I did try to email and download the graph I created but the site was either bogged down or not functioning and it did not work. I've always taught my students how to use Excel, and pretty much all of our graphs are created this way. They become pretty proficient at it in a short time and it is the type of software they'll use in a professional setting. The other reason I like Excel is because I can copy and paste data directly from web data sets into it for graphical analysis and manipulation. I realize Create a Graph can also be saved but I like the ability for students to import their graphs into lab reports. When we create class data sets and groups record their data, I usually have the students directly type their results into a class spreadsheet on my laptop that we they share. Students then graph the data individually or in their lab groups.
I tried to upload a link to a simple little bar graph I made of the types of trees I have in my backyard but couldn't get it to go. I'll try later and post it later if I can get it to work.

...5 minutes later, my graph finally loads and I am attempting to post it into my blog.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on many of the point you mentioned. I took a look at Create-A-Graph earlier in the week and it looked like it was designed more for the elementary students. I think middle school and high school students would be better served working with Excel. Excel is such a powerful tool. I wish I knew more about it. Every time I use the program my wife has to assist me and I’m constantly saying “I didn’t know you could do that!”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Create a Graph does look pretty simplistic, but I like being able to give students choices, so I'm determined to play around/learn it. Many of my older (40+) students are leery of Excel, but it's really not that bad. Like you, Ginger, I do teach those who are interested how to use it. Jeremy, you might try looking for some tutorials online. AtomicLearning used to have a good one, but I don't know if it's still available. I learned how to use Excel by checking out "Excel for Dummies" through our school district's library system. Maybe that would help?

    ReplyDelete