Thursday, July 29, 2010

Guiding Principles Revisited

Here is my initial post on my guiding principles for technology:

"My guiding principles for technology have always been to give students access to information and tools for doing science. I also want them to be able to develop skills in using technology tools for the workplace. I view my role as their teacher to inspire them to pursue their interests, to nurture their natural curiosity, to guide them in achieving their educational goals, and to act as a mentor in developing science skills and knowledge. Technology is an avenue for achieving these goals. I also use technology to give my students more immediate feedback by providing instantaneous test results, online discussions, access to information regarding my class via my class wiki. Finally, I want to encourage my students to be able to collaborate without them having to leave their home, and to interact with each other as well as others in the global classroom to create, discuss, and share information"

Upon re-reading my initial post I would say that these still hold true for me. However, I have a new awareness of so many new forms of technology that are available that I realize I was not keeping up with what was out there! I plan to incorporate many of these into my teaching this year and plan to keep abreast, as much as possible, of the new technology as it becomes available. Also, I realized that I could use these various tools to teach in a completely different way. My goal is to do more science that involves discussions, creating, and sharing. Also, to incorporate professionals into our classroom via the internet and bring my students into the live science community. Additionally, I plan to urge the administration at my new school to also keep up with the technology by providing access for our 21st century learners. I want to be a forerunner in this effort to modernize and plan to share what I've learned through this class in an inservice this Fall.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am hoping I will keep up with new tech! Good luck with your plan to share your info! I hope it goes well and your colleagues and administration listen, learn, and are as enthused about it all as we are in this class!

    ReplyDelete